Child Development and Public Health

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is an unexplainable death of infants, usually occurs during sleep of a child less than one year of age (Wikipedia,2017). SIDS is important to me because I want to know the cause of this unexpected death that affects infants. It concerns me that no one can actually pinpoint what causes SIDS. I know their are ways to help reduce the risks, but what causes SIDS?

I think it would be helpful to parents if we had an answer to this question. I read that the cause is unknown, but might be associated with defects in the brain that controls breathing and the arousal of sleep, low birth weight, respiratory infection, sleeping positions, siblings who were victims of SIDS, etc., but I could not find a known cause. Does anyone know the exact cause?

New Zealand has the highest rates of SIDS, with the US right behind with the second highest. Babies are twice likely to die in New Zealand than in the US. The UK was the safest place for babies to sleep in the Western part of the world with a lower percentage of SIDS, and I will continue researching the cause of this syndrome that's killing our babies. The fact that the cause is unknown pushes me to be an advocate in hopes to find out what causes SIDS.

References:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20352800

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sudden-infant-death-syndrome

http://mumanu.co.uk/some-shocking-facts-about-cot-death-sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/





Comments

  1. It is scary when you hear the word SIDS. I hope that researchers can find a cure for this type of death. This death is so serious. If parents followed through with the risks of SIDS, it may slow down the death for infant’s death. I hope researchers will find a cure for SIDS soon because infants are constantly dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latwana,

    This is an very important topic and its really breaks my heart because its still an unexplained death. Its really sad to read that New Zealand has the highest risk of SIDS.Being aware of SIDS is a must and I agree with Towanda I hope researchers will be able to find a cure for SIDS. Thanks for sharing.

    Deaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find SIDS to be extremely unsettling. Not knowing the cause puts an automatic fear in a parent's mind, because at any moment an infant can be a victim to it. I've read somewhere that it may have to do with infants sleeping on their stomachs, but I don't think there is proof this is the exact cause. Hopefully one day they find out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Eyeopener

Codes of Ethics